HELPING YOU UNDERSTAND THE INS AND OUTS OF CABINETRY
Decora’s selection of door styles, wood types, finishes, mouldings and storage solutions gives you a wide range of possibilities to make your dream room come true. These choices can be overwhelming though, if you don’t have a basic understanding of cabinets and their differences. Explore these helpful cabinet terms and elements to become your own expert.
How a cabinet is built determines how it looks and functions. Hinges, shelving and even finishing options can vary greatly depending on the type of construction used. These basics will help you determine what construction type is best for you.
Framed cabinetry utilizes a traditional construction type, with rails and stiles forming a “frame” at the front of the cabinet box. Framed cabinets attach door hinges to frame face and shelves are usually, but not always, adjustable. Inset, partial, and full overlay door styles can be used with framed cabinets.
Inset cabinets fit doors and drawers inside the face frame openings, giving full view to the frame with only minimal spacing/gaps between components.
Our cabinets feature various wood compounds to provide strength and durability, including:
- Plywood– A panel made from an odd number of veneer layers in combination of lumber core, particleboard, MDF core and hardboard core joined with an adhesive. The grain of each layer runs at right angles to the next. All plywood components meet ANSI/HPVA HP-1 standards, and may contain MDF or particleboard.
- Veneer– A thin layer of wood applied over another surface, such as particleboard.
- Raised panel – The center panel of the door is elevated
- Recessed or Flat Panel – The center panel of the door is set lower
- Full Overlay – The door of the cabinet covers the entire face frame
- Partial Overlay – The door of the cabinet overlays a part of the face frame
- Inset Cabinets – Doors and drawers fit inside the face frame openings, giving full view to the frame with only minimal spacing/gaps between components
Unlike many cabinet manufacturers, Decorá offers customizable cabinet interiors to ensure the perfect fit and function for you. From extra storage for bulk shoppers and roll-trays for easy access, to adjustable shelves and recycling bins, these features help clear cluttered counter space and make your life easier.